Buying the best bed guard for children is a crucial parenting decision. A bed guard is an excellent way to keep your little one safe when they’re sleeping, especially if they’ve just made the transition from their cot to a big bed. Ease of use, safety, comfort and of course the cost are some of the factors to consider.
There’s a number of different options to consider when it comes to finding the best bed guard for your child. Bed guards are usually either wedge based and fit on the mattress but under the sheet, or they are a barrier design and fit between the bed base and the mattress to make a ‘fence’ at the side of the bed.
Wedge design bed guards are great for a single bed as they will take up some of the mattress space. Barrier bed guards will suit all bed sizes and are also good if you want a travel version as some can fold small to go with you on holiday or when visiting family.
If you are keen to avoid things that go bump in the night, you can’t go wrong with the Hippychick Dream Tubes Bed Bumpers. These super stylish bed tubes assure you and your growing toddler of a good nights sleep. You don’t have to endure crying in the middle of the night as the little one tumbles from their bed. The soft and cushy bed bumpers provide a comfortable, protective barrier to keep the sleeping angel in their bed all night long.
Unlike the traditional rails, the award-winning Hippychick dream tubes are soft inflatable tubes that fit snugly on a cot bed or single bed. They are just the right height to keep your little one from rolling off the bed. As such, they will keep your toddler safe at night while not hurting their pride about sleeping in their big bed. The chic design of the bed guard gives them a plaything appearance that proves to be a big hit with growing children.
Each unit comprises a baby safe cotton bed sheet and two inflatable tubes and is incredibly easy to install. Simply spread the bed sheet on the cot bed and tuck in the corners. Inflate the dream tubes and fit them in the integrated tube pockets on the bed sheet and you are ready to go.
In addition to ensconcing the sleeping child comfortably all through the night, the dream tube keeps the duvet in place as well. No longer will you have to make the midnight trip to the baby’s room to ensure they are keeping warm.
The product measures 25 x 90 x 190 cm and weighs 1 kg.
Happy buyers on Amazon have this to say about their children’s bed guard:
“After transferring my toddler into a single bed, this product has brought great peace of mind. He is able to climb in, and out, of the bed with ease, and hasn’t been able to fall out whilst sleeping. It has definitely helped with the transition.”
“Fast delivery. Fab! Wish I’d found these sooner. Keeps my 2 year old nice and safe in a single bed!”
- FIRST EVER INFLATABLE BED GUARDS - Hippychick are pleased to introduce the first ever inflatable bed guards - an alternative to bulky, clunky bed guards, Dream Tubes ensure there are no hard knocks...
- AVAILABLE IN COT BED & SINGLE BED SIZES - the Hippychick Dream Tubes are simply inflatable tubes that fit snug into integral channels in a 100% cotton fitted bed sheet with the aim of stopping your...
- LIGHTWEIGHT, COMPACT & PORTABLE - Dream Tubes easily fold to small compact size, ideal for use at home on when travelling
- SAFE & SECURE - Turns any cot bed or single bed into a secure sleep space for young children
- FAMILY CHOICE AWARD - The Family Choice Awards recognizes the best products, services and resources for all members of a family
- Keep your child safe every night from rolling off the bed with The Shrunks Safety Bed Rail and Bolster
- This Shrunks inflatable Bed Rail (s) are sized 121.9 x 17.8 x 10.2 cm and recommended for kids ages 2 and up
- Our Toddler Bed Rail comes with a compact foot pump and storage bag for convenience so your portable bed rail for kids easily becomes a travel bed rail
If you’re looking for an elegant way to keep your little one safe when making the big transition from a cot to a single bed or a cot-bed, you will love the Babyway Portable Compact Fold Bed Rail. This compact bed rail fits any bed you might have in your child’s room. From junior, single, slatted or a divan bed, you can rest assured that the little one will keep on the bed all through the night.
A simple yet secure fastening mechanism makes attaching the bed rail to the cot-bed a breeze. When not in use, the bed rail stylishly folds downward to allow easy access to the bed. The compact and foldable design ensures that this safety feature does not take up much space in the baby’s room. Impressively, the lightweight nature of the bed rail makes it the ideal travel companion. You can take it with you on holiday or even to grandma’s house to keep the little one safe anywhere you go.
Measuring an impressive 102 cm in length, the Babyway Portable Compact Fold Bed Rail leaves little room for your little one to tumble from the bed. The locking mechanism provides for great flexibility. You can attach the bed rail at the top of the bed or in the middle, for greater convenience. The simple and efficient folding mechanism ensure that you have free access to the bed regardless of the attachment position.
This children’s bed rail provides you with a sturdy yet stylish solution to help your toddler make the transition from a cot to bed. It is strong enough to withstand any pressure the sleeping child might exert on it as they roll in their sleep. No longer will you have to live with the anxiety of wondering if they will hurt themselves in their sleep. You have the option of fitting one or a pair of bed rails on your child’s bed.
The bed rail measures 45 x 36 x 4 cm and weighs 2.2 kg.
Delighted buyers on Amazon have this to say about their products:
“Stops the kid from falling out of bed. Stops me from being woken up by the sound of kid falling out of bed. Makes life better.”
“Brought this for my son who’s 8 & autistic, he was falling out of his bed as he is very restless. Fitted perfectly on his single bed, good purchase & arrived on time.”
- Helps prevents toddlers from accidentally falling out of the bed
- Folds down compactly for storage and transport. Folded size: 71 (l) x 7 (w) x 42 (h) cm
- Fully assembled bedrail makes it very easy for parents to use. Assembled size: 101 (l) x 37 (w) x 42(h) cm
- Bedrail folds down making it easy for child to get into bed. Suitable for both standard and slatted beds
The Foam Bed Guard Bed Rail is the most affordable of the bunch we recommend here. However, it makes an excellent choice for parents looking for a simplistic way to keep their wee ones safe while sleeping. It comprises a metre long foam wedge that sits directly on the mattress on your toddler’s bed. It suits parents looking for a hassle free, yet safe way to keep your child from falling off the bed.
Made of 100% babysafe foam, this bed guard instantly transforms a bed of any size into a safe zone for your little one. You only need to slip it underneath the bed sheets to keep the little on safe. If you are reluctant to buy a cot, you can simply add this bed guard on both sides of a single bed and keep your baby safe. This bed bumper saves you money without compromising your child’s safety. It is also firm enough so support your weight when you need to co-sleep or read a bedtime story to your little one.
The minimalist design on the bed guard makes a superb choice for parents whose toddlers want to feel like big boys and girls. The cleverly sculpted height of the wedge only appears as a small protrusion on any bed. It serves the purpose of keeping the child safe at night without denting their image or self-esteem.
The Foam Bed Guard Bed Rail makes a perfect divider if you have to put two toddlers in the same bed. It also makes an excellent way to create a small and cosy space for a young child when putting them to sleep in a king-sized bed. If the bed is in the middle of the room, simply get a pair of the bed guards and keep you little one safe at night.
The product measures 100 x 13.5 x 12.5 cm and weighs 141 g.
Delighted buyers on Amazon have this to say about their bed guards:
“Love it! Works a treat on the wee one’s cot bed, not as clumpy as the big fold down ones, so easy to fit and nice and soft so no banging her head on anything. Love it.”
“Very good. Discreet, soft, effective. Very pleased with it and it should travel well too.”
- The safer and easier alternative to traditional bed guards; SIMPLE to use - NO ASSEMBLY & EASY TO FIT
- 100cm* FOAM WEDGE which lies directly on the mattress and is held securely in place under your fitted sheets (*2x50cm outside UK)
- 100% BABYSAFE Foam - No Chemical 'Nasties' ; 100% SAFE - transforms the bed into a 'safe zone' with no danger of entrapment between bed and bed guard
- DISCREET & COMFY for your little ones making them feel like big boys and girls
- Perfect for transitioning from cot bed to Junior bed; works with any size bed from toddler to king.
- Features a non-slip bottom so you can rest assured that your child is safe and sound.
- Our super soft bamboo cover is natural and washable, yet still waterproof so the bumper can last you years to come.
- So easy to install and ultra-light for travel. Dimensions: 132cm long x 17.5cm wide x 11.5cm depth (52" x 7" x 4.5")
- The simple safe way to prevent your child from rolling out of bed - The easy and gentle alternative to traditional bed rails
- Our foam is not standard furniture foam which can be found in other bumpers on the market. Our foam is made using UK child/baby safe foam - meaning it contains NO harmful or toxic ingredients. Its as...
- Pure white odourless foam, Contains no toxic and harmful ingredients, Made from UK BABY SAFE FOAM (not furniture foam), Hypoallergenic & Resistant to bacteria growth
- EVERY BUMPER COMES IN A SOFT BAMBOO WATERPROOF, WASHABLE ZIP COVER! cover Can be used for girls & boys in any cot-bed, junior/toddler bed - without sides. Ideal size for travel: caravans/motor homes &...
The Safetots Wooden Bed Rails are top quality bed rails. They are made out of high-quality wood that is sanded down nice and smooth to ensure your child doesn’t get hurt on them. They are safety tested to make sure that they will do their job of keeping your child safe. The bed rails easily and quickly hook onto the side of the bed. They measure 38 x 100 x 38 cm which means that they will fit most beds and cots without any issue. For convenience, they fold down out of the way when not in use.
Another great thing about these bed guards is they can be used in pairs. This means that if the child’s bed is not against the wall then you can put one of these rails on each side of the bed. They don’t have to hook on facing a specific way. These bed rails do not screw onto the bed, but instead, the weight of the mattress holds them in position. This is good because when it is time to get a new bed the old one will not be damaged when you sell it on. Also, if the bed frame you have is metal or plastic these can still be used.
Since these can be used with pretty much any bed it is not a surprise that the Amazon reviews are good with customers saying:
“Good height, length and very sturdy”
“Sturdy, looks lovely and like it is part of the bed”
- Dimensions of wooden bed rail in use is 140w x 60H (cm)
- Mattress: minimum width: 120cm, minimum length: 190cm, maximum depth: 44cm
- Fully assembled for ease of installation
Another excellent choice for bed rails is the Babydan Wooden Bed Guard. This bed guard is a two-part system. You have the metal frame that sits on the bed and goes under the mattress. The weight of the mattress and child helps keep it in position. You then have the guard part that is wood and hooks onto the frame. The wooden rails part snaps on and off the frame easily and quickly so you can store it out of the way. This is convenient for if your child wants to lay or sit on the bed during the day playing with toys. Then you can just add the guards back on at night before bedtime.
The guard can be used in sets of two to protect both sides of the bed if the bed is not against a wall. The wood is also nice and smooth and painted a clean white. The metal frame is rounded metal to make sure there are no sharp edges your child could get hurt on. This bed rail is made in a way to ensure top safety for the child.
The BabyDan Wooden Bed Guard measures 90 x 43 cm which makes it great for most beds. It is recommended for children 18 months and older and should not be used on the top bunk of a bunk bed.
Customers on Amazon are very happy with this bed gaurd:
“Sturdy, nice looking and easy to change a bed with!”
“Great design and good quality.”
- Bed Rail made from furniture grade Poplar wood
- The Bed Rail simply clicks on/off the frame
- Wooden bed guard
- The bed rail simply clicks on/off the frame
- Suitable for all beds apart from cribs and upper bunk beds
- Suitable for children over 18 months
Best Toddler Bed Rails
If your toddler is in a toddler bed (smaller than a standard single) and needs rails or gaurds then take a look at these. They both fit the smaller dimensions of a toddler bed.
Lindam is among the best companies that have provided products that help promote safety in a household. As for their bed rails, the Lindam Easy Fit Bed Guard is a great option that you can go for. It offers not only comfort but also peace of mind that your child is safe when they sleep at night. This product can be used by children a little over one-year-old up until they reach five years of age. It has a lightweight structure perfect for families that love to go on trips. This is the type of bed guard that can be packed easily for travel.
The Lindam Easy Fit Bed Guard is one of those toddler bed rails that have a superb design. One of the things that make it stand out is it’s quick and easy to assemble construction. It needs no tools in order to work. In addition to this, the child can also just fold down the Lindam Easy Fit Bed Guard when they are ready to wake up and get off their bed. As it lasts until your child is school age you won’t need to buy another.
The measurements of this bed rail are: 7 x 107 x 45.7 cm. As for its weight, it weighs 2.2 kg.
And if you want to know the experience of parents after buying this item, here are some valuable testimonials:
“Good product, packaged ok, arrived quickly. Didn’t take too long to make up. Fits well under the cot bed mattress, however, the far sidebar sits slightly higher than our mattress, we don’t mind as it has a protective cover on it. I would buy this product again. Does the job!”
“Great guard. This is the second one we have purchased as a spare for our room. It folds down well and having the bar attached to the mattress is great in her single bed. My little one sleeps up against it, obviously comfy too.”
- Quick and easy assembly no tools required
- Secure locking mechanism. Suitable for bed types - slatted, divan and ensemble.Not suitable for beds where mattress sits within a raised frame or upper bunk beds.
- Convenient fold down position makes lifting your child and changing the bedding easier
- Lightweight structure
Summer Infant Grow With Me Single Bedrail is another great product that offers children protection from falling during the night. It measures 90 cm wide and 51 cm tall which is perfect for small children. It is one of those bed rails that can be used for both single sized mattresses and cot beds. In addition to this, you can fold the Summer Infant Grow With Me Single Bedrail in order to allow the child to leave the bed in the morning or to make changing linens a lot easier.
Made of metal legs, plastic material, and a fabric panel, this makes one of the best toddler bed rails that you can invest in mainly because of its durability and easy-to-follow instructions on how to set up. Since it can easily be transported, it is something that you can bring for overnight stays and fun weekends out of town. In addition to this, it can also fit the interior of any home.
And because of its popularity online, a lot of parents have given praise to the Summer Infant Grow With Me Single Bedrail. Here are some testimonials that we’ve seen:
“My son has just moved up to a toddler bed and I bought this to stop him from falling from the side of it. It was so easy to fix together, the instructions are easy to follow and it can be adjusted to fit different sized beds. I like that the side can fold down for easy access to the bed and the fact that it’s fabric means that it’s breathable.”
“Bought 2 of these to use for a double bed and although they can’t fit together if the back legs are turned upside down it’s perfect. I’m pleased about the purchase and the price.”
- Universal fit for divan and slatted bed bases
- Each panel measures 90cm L x 42cm H
- Folds down for easy access to the bed or to change linens
- Accomodates mattresses cot bed (70cm) to single (90cm) size
- Can be adjusted to fit cot bed to single sized mattresses
- Sides fold down for easy access to the bed
- Meets current bs 7972 uk bedrail standard
- Each panel measures 90cm l x 43cm h. Full assembly instructions included
Best Bed Guard for Children Round-Up
Getting the best bed guard for children is an important parenting decision. You want your little one to sleep better at night and keep them from falling off the bed.
Once you’ve chosen between getting a wedge type bed guard or a barrier type, we’ve narrowed the choice down to our favourites that you can buy easily from Amazon.